Monthly Committee Tips

Melting Ice the Environmentally Friendly Way

Common de-icers are cheap and effective, but threaten the health of soil systems, waterways, and wildlife when the snow melts. De-icing salts are also notorious for burning the paws of dogs and cats, and are highly corrosive to driveways, cars, and roads.

Here are some ideas for more environmentally friendly de-icing techniques:


  • Look for the words “Pet Safe” on de-icer products. Pet safe de-icers are commonly made from calcium magnesium acetate, calcium chloride, or potassium chloride, are non-toxic, and will not harm the environment, your driveway, your pet’s paws, or your children. In fact, the minerals present in pet safe de-icers will fertilize the soil and plant systems the de-icer comes into contact with.
  • If you suspect it will snow or ice-up overnight, flip up your windshield wipers and put a tarp over your car’s windshield, roof and rear window, then lower the wipers down onto the tarp. Open the car doors and tuck the tails of the tarp into the car to keep it in place. In the morning, If it is a light dusting or a little ice, just open your doors, flip the wipers back up and remove the tarp. The ice and snow should come off easily.


This tip is brought to you by the Committee for a Better Environment.

Valentine's Day and Our Pet!

While Valentine’s Day is a loving holiday for humans it can be very deadly and toxic for our pets. Chocolate and ribbons are two items that are very popular and should be kept away from our pets-and not just on Valentine’s Day.


Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine and will speed up the heart rate and stimulate the nervous system for both dogs and cats if ingested. Often this results in a visit to the vet. If a ribbon is ingested it can become entangled in the intestines of the dog or cat resulting in a difficult surgery. Keep your pets safe this Valentine’s Day and every day!


This tip is brought to you by the Animal Welfare Committee.