Mosquito Control

Mosquito Control

The City of College Park cooperates with the Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) to identify and control mosquito populations. Larviciding treatments are made by MDA personnel to known areas of standing water to control mosquito larva by preventing development into adult mosquitos. MDA spraying to control adult mosquitoes can occur June through September. Wednesday is the designated night when spraying for adult mosquitoes may occur in College Park. MDA does not spray individual properties; they drive on streets with truck mounted equipment to treat neighborhoods that meet established thresholds.

MDA has initiated a new mosquito complaint procedure; go to the following link and provide your information

Request for Exemption from Adult Mosquito Control Services. Any resident who wishes to have the frontage of their property excluded from adult mosquito control pesticide applications, by truck-mounted ultra-low volume (ULV) sprayers must fill out this form annually. Click here for the application.

For permanent areas of standing water (ponds, rain barrels, etc.), mosquito "torpedos" can be used to target and control mosquito larvae. Visit Public Works Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 obtain a mosquito torpedo.

Contact the Mosquito Control Section of the Maryland Department of Agriculture for additional assistance and advice. For more information click here to visit their website or call them at 410-841-5870.

Find the Repellant that is Right for You

The EPA has a search tool that can help you choose the repellent product that is right for you. You can specify :

  • mosquitoes, ticks or both;
  • protection time;
  • active ingredient; or
  • other product-specific information.

Consider these factors when choosing a repellent:

  • Do you need protection from mosquitoes, ticks or both?
  • How long will you be exposed to them? Be sure to use a product with a protection time that fits your activity.

Click here to find the repellent that is right for you.